Part 1 of 2019 comedy lakorns includes the English subbed lakorns. Part 2 will be lakorns that haven’t been subbed, but I wish they were. As usual, what to include and not include was the hardest part of writing this post.
With over 50 lakorns (according to mydramalist.com) classified as comedy, I had to make some choices. I decided to include the lakorns that had teasers that were primarily comic in nature, and excluded lakorns such as Secret Garden Thai, which might have some comic moments, but also had plenty of drama as well. I also looked at posters. That said, please don’t expect this to be a complete list of comedies.
Thong Ake Mor Yah Tah Chaloang (2019) – A romantic comedy set during the reign of Rama 5 (Chulalongkorn).
Thong In is an experienced doctor who has treated many people. He has a grandson named Thong Ake who wants to become a traditional doctor. He also studies ancient Thai medicine. One day, Thong In isolates himself after one of his patients dies and he’s blamed for his death. He doesn’t want Thong Ake to become a doctor and go through the same. Still, Thong Ake is determined to prove himself to his grandfather.
Chaba is a tough and fearless girl. She prefers to fight with swords than do household chores. After meeting Thong Ake’s grandfather, she becomes interested in traditional medicine and wants to become a doctor as well. Thong Ake starts teaching her and although they don’t get along at first, they eventually fall in love.
Reason it’s interesting? At a rating of 8.3 at mydramalist, this is one of the higher ratings for a comedy lakorn. But what’s more unusual is that it is a historical lakorn with a comedy bent. Often, we have horror stories, ghost stories set in the past, but comedy? Subbed by Muse.
Poo Bao Indy Yayee Inter (2019) – Romantic comedy about a rich hi-so girl and a country guy.
Because it’s destiny or the mission for the nation that made this Isaan police officer and a unfortunate young miss become rivals by having to pretend to be lovers. Problem arises everyday, but their bond develops every minute. Therefore not only is this mission dangerous, but love is on the line too.
Reason it’s interesting? Weir is here, so that brings it up one notch. The music also pulls me in. I wrote a post about the music here. Subbed by Thippy.
Kaew Klang Dong (2019) – Songpao is a wealthy city guy that likes wildlife and outdoors. He is best friends with Mewadee’s father, who lives in a small village in the forest. One day, Songpao goes into the forest to camp with Mewadee’s father, who ends up being killed by a tiger. Before he dies, he asks Songpao to take his daughter to the city and take care of her. However, things don’t go as planned because Songpao has a fiance named Wan, who is always picking on Mewadee behind his back, and it gets worse when Songpao falls for Mewadee.
Reason it’s interesting? Oom Eisaya and Warit Sirisantana make a cute couple and the story has a lot of different elements to it. This was also remade a lot: 1980, 1985, 2000, 2012, 2019. Trailer. Subbed by Thippy.
- Mae Mod Jao Sanae (2019) A quirky fashion student becomes the nanny of a handsome widower’s three kids, experiencing a series of silly antics and schemes. (Source: Netflix)
- Miss Culinary (2019) “Miss Culinary” reveals the brilliance of a young man who tries to keep his girlfriend by telling delicious stories of his mother’s recipes to win his girlfriend’s heart back. With the story of his mother’s life being sour, sweet, salty, spicy, it tells of a girl who ran away from her hometown in Uthai Thani province to face life in Bangkok in the 70s in order to fulfill her dream of being a chef at a 5-star hotel, along with love. (Source: GMM 25 & Google Translate)
Other Subbed Comedies
- Pisard Hansa (2019) Brought to heaven before his time, Prat ends up in the body of Kob, a gay man. Subbed by neko
- Por Krua Hua Pa – Louis Scott is the pra’ek who pretends to be poor and romances nang’ek Preem Ranida. Subbed by Thippy
- Ruk Jung Aoey (2019) Doctor heads to the countryside. Subbed by Thippy